September 15, 2008

Amelia update


We had our first visit to the pediatrician this morning. Her weight is down to 6lbs. and her bilirubin is up to 16.4. She is about 2 points away from needing phototherapy. The best that we can do for her is to feed her as much as possible which is easier said than done. She is so sleepy and difficult to wake up for feedings. She is the typical newborn right now. She sleeps all day and starts waking up at about 10pm just when we are getting ready to go to bed. At 35 weeks, her suck is still developing and she requires more rest than a full term baby. We will go back to the doctor on Wednesday to recheck her weight and bili level. I am definitely not alarmed but really need to make sure she eats every 2 hours. No rest for the weary!

6 comments:

Laura said...

What a beautiful little girl! Keeping you in my prayers...can't imagine every 2 hours!!! You're my hero! What a great mommy you are! Good luck. Hopefully Josh will be home awhile and you can take some naps.

Meegan said...

She's gorgeous Katie! I hope her levels get down soon, I know how stressful jaundice can be.

Anonymous said...

She is so sweet, makes me want another little girl!! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

awww! Get well little one.

Kathy said...

She is just beautiful! So, we never figured it out... was she C-section or did she actually venture her way out on her own??? Just look at her pretty little face! I think she looks like her brother. : )

Marian said...

Little Amelia..you are so sweet. Drink drink drink your mama's milk so you can poop all that bilirubin. When Patrick had jaundice (billirubin 17-18) he had to be readmitted for phototherapy and I breast fed and pumped milk so the nurses can feed the baby. I was so worried that he would get nipple confusion but not at all--but he did manage to eat more with the bottle because it was easier to suck--the elevated bilirubin made him so sleepy he couldn't stay awake to eat more than 5 minutes. Hang in there mama! Getting q2 is so hard!